Jobs at Pathfinder
Interested in joining the Pathfinder staff? We are always looking for dynamic, passionate people to be part of our community as Part-time Facilitators.
Outdoor/Environmental Education Facilitator
Reports To: Co-Directors
- Pathfinder provides one, two or three day outdoor adventure programs to youth and adult groups in a camp setting.
- Programs are a combination of low and high challenge course, outdoor skills and environmental education, primarily for school students in grades 4-12.
- Groups range in size from 10-140.
- A typical participant day is a series of classes, either 90 minutes or three hours in length. A typical staff day is 8:30am-9:30pm with breaks and meals.
- Instructional ratios range from 1:8 to 1:25 but are typically 1:10. Staff facilitate solo or in teams depending on the activity.
Qualifications, technical and content-oriented skills:
- Facilitate outdoor living skills (LNT, fire-building, shelter construction, weather safety, canoeing, night hikes, etc.) Training in specific curriculum provided.
- Facilitate environmental programs with an emphasis on Florida ecology and conservation issues. Training in specific curriculum provided.
- Facilitate High and Low Challenge Course and team-building activities.
Qualifications, interpersonal skills:
- Minimum 6 months or two summer's experience working with groups of youth in a camp or educational setting.
- Have “presence” and experientially engage groups of 10-20 youth.
- Facilitate group discussions which result in interpersonal skill-building and goal-setting.
- Assess learner needs and follow/modify lesson plans accordingly.
- Role model healthy and empowered decision making skills. Demonstrate compassion, patience, and sensitivity to population served.
- Punctuality and dependability.
- Quickly build rapport with participants of various backgrounds and ages.
- Proactive team player, flexible, sense of humor.
- Reliable transportation to our partner sites.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 40 lbs. Ability to work full and active days outside.
- Internet access and ability to communicate regularly by phone and email.
- Minimum 20 years of age. If employed, background check will include fingerprinting and criminal history.
- Degree in outdoor education, environmental education or related field a plus
Training, work schedule and start dates:
- Employment is mostly seasonal (August –May).
- Must be available to start the season by mid-August.
- Work week averages 20-30hours over 2-3 days.
- Some evenings and weekends required.
- Staff stay in lodging separate from participants when they stay overnight. Meals are typically provided.
- First Aid, CPR/AED, Lifeguard, Facilitation, Challenge Course and Tree Climbing training provided in the fall, with other trainings provided throughout the year and on an as-needed basis.
- Review our website.
- Complete the Pathfinder Employment Application and return with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may be emailed, faxed or mailed.
- Interview and, if local, observe.
Starting Compensation Range: $12.00-$15.00 per hour depending on experience and educational background.
Sherry Bagley, Co-Executive Director
Pathfinder Outdoor Education
1310 22nd Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33705
Equal Opportunity Employer
Communities of inclusion, integrity, and sustainability.
To deliver fun, challenging adventures that help people learn about themselves, others, and the environment.
Pathfinder's Core Values:
Respect. Integrity. Choice. Cooperation. Fun. Caring. Growth.